Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Coffee Quotes: February 5, 2014

In the past, whenever times got tough, I would watch a YouTube clip or something quick on Netflix (or, way back in the day Comedy Central on the actual television set) under the pretense that I needed something funny to take the pain away.

Nothing more than an avoidance tactic, it did not heal the pain but shift it to a deeper place inside, to be continued...

That is not the way I want to handle the rest of my life. To be honest, for the first two weeks of this breakup, I watched Scandal, Parks and Rec, Aziz Anzari standup and a whole lot of 30 Rock. But when it comes to reinvention and living my life on purpose, I need something more constructive, less ‘laugh out loud’ funny and more soothing for my soul. 

Instead of starting my day with anger, sadness and arguments from the break-up and work emails that need to be handled ‘immediately’, I’ve decided to take 30 minutes each morning to spend time with my favorite drink - coffee - and read books that guide me in my reinvention.

To keep myself from sinking back into the abyss of morning YouTube clips, I though I’d share one quote here every morning that charges me up for the day. (In a booming, Gandalf or Dumbledore voice) I shall call these posts Coffee Quotes. Today’s coffee quote is taken from A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle.

“When you don’t cover up the world with words and labels, a sense of the miraculous returns to your life.”

I read this this morning and it couldn’t come at a better time. This seems like the key to reinvention. You have to let go of all those labels that represent who you are, or were, in order to focus on becoming exactly who you want to be.


I am really enjoying this book! It's changing the way I think about connecting to my true self. 

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club)


No comments:

Post a Comment